Filled Campus Recreation Graduate Assistant for Intramural Sports
The Graduate Assistant for Intramural Sports will serve as a member of the Campus Recreation staff. The Graduate Assistant will be an active team member and is expected to provide input toward the work of Campus Recreation including the evaluation of programs and services provided to the University community. The Graduate Assistant reports to the Assistant Director of Campus Recreation. The Graduate Assistant is responsible for the following:
- Assist in planning, organizing, implementing, and evaluating all intramural sports programs. Specific responsibilities include: plan and organize intramural sports; complete sports schedules; plan, organize, and conduct captain’s meetings for leagues; provide monthly program reports and participation statistics; and supervise student intramural employees.
- This position is 20 hours per week. The work week will consist of evenings, weekends, and office hours. The work schedule will need to be flexible and may vary to accommodate programs and sports seasons.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, student orientation and training sessions as deemed appropriate, and one on one meetings with your supervisor.
- Assist in hiring, training, supervising, scheduling, and evaluating all intramural staff.
- Assist with program evaluations and assessments.
- Assist with resolving conflict at programs as needed.
- Act as a liaison as needed for Campus Recreation with other departments on Campus.
- Assist with other appropriate Intramural and Special Event duties as assigned by the supervisor.
The successful candidate will present evidence of the following:
- Full matriculation into a graduate program at SUNY Oswego.
- Experience and interest in the areas of Intramural Sports, Recreation, Club Sports, Athletics, Wellness, or Health and/or a strong desire to gain a working knowledge of Campus Recreation.
- Prior experience as a member or leader of a college student organization is desired.
- Prior experience supervising and training employees desired.
- Officiating experience in various sports or event planning, organizing, and evaluation experience desired.
- Ability to work as an effective member of a professional team.
- Strong computer skills and the willingness to train in the Campus Recreation software programs.
- Organizational skills, effective time management skills, strong oral and written communication skills, and high levels of energy and enthusiasm.
- American Red Cross CPR, First Aid, and AED certificate desired or willingness to obtain the certification required.
The term of appointment runs from Thursday, August 16, 2018 through Friday, May 17, 2019 excluding some academic recesses. The position requires that the Graduate assistant starts working one week prior to the first day of class in each semester. The Fall start date is August 16, 2018 and Spring start date is January 17, 2019. The Graduate Assistant for Campus Recreation is expected to work twenty (20) hours per week, excluding applicable holidays, during the term of appointment. Regular evening and weekend hours are required.
Compensation for the 2018-19 academic year includes $ 9,000 toward tuition and stipend. The compensation spilt between tuition and stipend and amount is subject to final budget allocations.
Submit letter of application, resume, and three professional references names, e-mail, phone numbers, and how you know the individuals via e-mail to, this position is open until filled:
Scott G. Harrison
Assistant Director of Campus Recreation
101 Lee Hall, Oswego, NY 13126
Phone (315) 312-5609
- Position pending final budget approval