Filled Compass Internship Program (Compass Resource Center) Graduate Assistant
OPENING: Graduate Assistant for the Compass Internship Program (Compass Resource Center)
Supervised by the Career Services Department at SUNY Oswego
The Compass is a student success center prepared to meet a variety of needs throughout a student’s time at Oswego. We help students transition into college and discover their strengths, values, and interests while connecting them to best-fit major and career fields. We also connect students to opportunities to gain experience in their career field, through internships and other experiences, and in the greater community through volunteerism. We also assist students through their transition into the world of work or graduate school, aiding them in their marketing materials, such as the résumé, cover letters,and graduate school applications. There is a solid plan for student success at SUNY Oswego, and we are here to help!
Position Description: This position will provide higher education experience in the areas of Student Affairs and Academic Affairs. The Graduate Assistant will work with other staff members to provide a welcoming office environment that offers students diverse opportunities to engage in their educational planning process during every stage of their academic career and beyond. The Compass Graduate Assistant is responsible for becoming familiar with the programs, resources, and functions of the Compass. Training will be provided and prior knowledge of the Compass is not required. To learn more about the Compass visit www.oswego.edu/compass.
- Provide direct supervision to undergraduate student interns (Navigators and Advanced Navigators).
- Be knowledgeable of departmental areas of the “Compass” and their functions in order to provide students appropriate services, resources, and information such as:
- Major and Career Exploration, including Self-Assessment and Career Exploration
- Internship, Volunteer and Service Learning
- Registration for workshops, mock interviews, and special events
- Critique resumes, cover letters and other marketing materials
- Initialize full and part-time job/graduate school search
- Assist in creating and maintaining a student-centered environment in the Compass Resource Center that is professional and supportive.
- Schedule intern office hours and conduct weekly staff meetings.
- Prepare and lead presentations, staff development and training sessions for interns.
- Assist Compass professional staff with program support.
- Serve as a liaison between the Compass staff and Resource Center.
- Communicate with campus community through various mediums including listservs, workshops, and classroom presentations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Terms of Employment/Compensation:
- This is a year-long assistantship starting August 20, 2018 to June 1, 2019. Graduate Assistant must be a full-time, matriculated graduate student at SUNY Oswego by fall 2018 and enroll in no more than 9 credit hours per semester.
- Remuneration for the year is $8,680 stipend for 20 hours per-week. Additional benefits include: health insurance available, free employee parking, 10% off new textbooks from the college store, and opportunities for professional development.
To Apply: Please send the following materials to Jackie Wallace by April 1 at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for three professional references
If you have any questions or would like more information about this position please contact Jackie Wallace, Assistant Director of Career Services at Jacqueline.email@example.com
*Position pending final budget approval