Filled Compass Resource Center GA
The Compass is a student success center prepared to meet a variety of needs throughout a student’s time at Oswego. We help students transition into college and discover their strengths, values, and interests while connecting them to best-fit major and career fields. We also connect students to opportunities to gain experience in their career field through internship and in the greater community through volunteerism. We also assist students through their transition into the world of work or graduate school, aiding them in their marketing materials, such as the résumé, cover letter,and graduate school application. There is a solid plan for student success at SUNY Oswego, and we are here to help!
Position Description: This position will provide higher education experience in the areas of Student Affairs and Academic Affairs. The Graduate Assistant will work with professional and intern staff members to provide a welcoming office environment that offers students diverse opportunities to engage in their educational and co-curricular planning process during every stage of their academic career and beyond. The Graduate Assistant is responsible for becoming familiar with the programs, resources, and functions of the various departments at the Compass. Training will be provided and prior knowledge of the departments at the Compass is not a requirement.
- Provide direct supervision to undergraduate student interns (Navigator Interns and Advanced Navigator Interns)
- Be knowledgeable of departmental areas at the Compass in order to provide students appropriate services, resources, and information on:
- Major and Career Exploration, including Self-Assessment
- Internship, Volunteer and Service Learning Opportunities
- Major events, such as graduate school and career fairs
- Critiques of resumes, cover letters and other marketing materials
- Full and part-time job/graduate school search strategies
- Assist in creating and maintaining a professional and supportive student-centered environment in the Resource Center.
- Schedule intern office hours and conduct weekly staff meetings.
- Prepare and lead presentations, staff development and training sessions for interns.
- Assist Compass professional staff with program support.
- Serve as a liaison between the Compass staff and Resource Center.
- Communicate with campus community through various mediums including listservs and classroom presentations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Terms of Employment/Compensation:
- This is a year-long assistantship starting August 21, 2017 to June 1, 2018. Graduate Assistant must be a full-time, matriculated graduate student at SUNY Oswego by fall 2017 and enroll in no more than 9 credit hours per semester.
- Remuneration for the year is $8,680 stipend for 20 hours per-week. Additional benefits include: health insurance available, free employee parking, 10% off new textbooks from the college store, and opportunities for professional development.
To Apply: Please send the following materials to Jackie Wallace through Interview Exchange:
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for three professional references
If you have any questions or would like more information about this position please contact Jackie Wallace, Assistant Director of Career Services at Jacqueline.firstname.lastname@example.org