Other First Year Experience Graduate Assistant
First Year Experience (FYE) helps students to integrate into the SUNY Oswego community by introducing them to campus-wide resources, services, and experiences that will help them to thrive both academically and socially. The First Year Experience Graduate Assistant will assist the FYE Coordinator and EXCEL: Experiential Courses and Engaged Learning in the administration of high-impact transition and retention programming.
- Research changing needs of incoming first-year college students
- Develop helpful and timely resources for first-year students and undeclared first-year advisees
- Provide support for academic programs such as: FirstChoice, Service-Learning, and First-Year Signature Courses
- Assist with assessment of first-year experiences and programs through surveys, focus groups, and other appropriate methods
- Analyze first-year experience data and design compelling reports for the campus community
- Update First Year Experience website, social media posts, and other written materials
- Manage communication with students, families, faculty, and staff through email, phone, listservs, and newsletters
- Provide support for EXCEL initiatives as needed
- Clear understanding of first-year college student issues
- Creativity and the willingness to “think outside the box”
- Positive attitude and ability to demonstrate empathy for first-year students and their families
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations of first-year students
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with proven interpersonal skills
- Ability to collaborate and work with a dynamic and diverse team
- High-level of organization and attention to detail
- Motivation to take initiative, work independently, and meet important deadlines
- Proven problem-solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Advanced computing skills including database management, word processing, and website design (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Apps, Drupal, etc.)
- Knowledge of SUNY Oswego campus resources
- Prior involvement in student organizations, other on-campus activities, or employment
Terms of Employment/Compensation:
This is a year-long assistantship starting August 26, 2019 to May 15, 2020, with the option to renew for a second year if performance is satisfactory. Graduate Assistant must be a full-time, matriculated graduate student at SUNY Oswego and enroll in no more than 9 credit hours per semester.
Remuneration for the year is $8,680 stipend for 20 hours per-week. Additional benefits include: health insurance available, free employee parking, 10% off new textbooks from the college store, and opportunities for professional development.
Preference will be given to candidates who are interested in the possibility of a two-year commitment.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Mallory Bower, First Year Experience Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.