Filled First Year Programs Graduate Assistant
Position Description: This position will provide higher education experience in the areas of Student Affairs and Academic Affairs. The First Year Graduate Assistant will support Coordinator of First Year Programs in the administration of the First Year Advisement Program, The FirstChoice Academic Program, and Orientation Advisement.
- Assist in the development, coordination, grant writing, and implementation of training for First year Faculty advisors and FirstChoice instructors.
- Assist in the development of support materials for First Year Programs, including First Year Advisement, FirstChoice instructor, and advisement resource websites.
- Communication with Faculty and Students in person and through First Year Program email, phone, and mailing lists
- Support initiatives such as, pre-registration, orientation advisement, and Early Alert.
- Manage multiple databases and listservs
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills in person and on the phone
- Significant Computer skills required, a demonstrated ability to learn a variety of software programs and a working knowledge/proficiency in LakerApps Drive, Excel, and Drupal preferred.
- Ability to take initiative and work unsupervised with a commitment to excellence.
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Student affairs programming, residence hall experience, academic advisement or similar experience is preferred along with an understanding of first year student issues.
Terms of Employment/Compensation:
- This is a year-long assistantship starting August 21, 2017 to June 15, 2018. Graduate Assistant must be a full-time, matriculated graduate student at SUNY Oswego and enroll in no more than 9 credit hours per semester.
- Remuneration for the year is $8,680 stipend for 20 hours per-week. Additional benefits include: health insurance available, free employee parking, 10% off new textbooks from the college store, and opportunities for professional development.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are interested in the possibility of a two year commitment with the possibility of adding paid employment to assist with Orientation Advisement during the next two summers.
To Apply: Please send the following materials to Michelle Bandla through Interview Exchange:
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for three professional references
If you have any questions or would like more information about this position please contact Michelle Bandla, Coordinator of First Year Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org