Filled Mentor-Scholar GA
The Mentor-Scholar Program is an academic and social support mentoring program that partners SUNY Oswego undergraduate students and participants from various local school districts through the academic year (fall and spring semesters). This position will provide higher education experience in the area of Experiential Learning in the Division of Academic Affairs. The Mentor-Scholar Graduate Assistant will report to the Mentor-Scholar Project Coordinator and support the Assistant Coordinator and undergraduate participants in the facilitation of the Mentor-Scholar Program, including working closely with program/district administration, staff and faculty at various community partners, and college personnel at SUNY Oswego.
- Assist Coordinator with overall program development.
- Coordinate the recruitment, selection, and training of undergraduate mentors.
- Evaluate the recruitment processes for mentors and Team Leaders and make recommendations for improvement.
- Act in a supporting role for the 1-Credit GST 311 Service Learning course specific to the Mentor-Scholar program.
- Assist with the planning and execution of the program’s major social and educational events.
- Support campus and community outreach towards program initiatives.
- Assist with administrative duties, including data collection and statistical reporting and internal and external program PR.
- Assist Coordinator with family outreach and parent contact.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
- Passion for educational equity.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills with proven interpersonal skills.
- Possess effective organizational and time management skills.
- Work as an effective member of a professional team, with high levels of integrity, energy and confidentiality.
- Ability to take initiative and work unsupervised.
- Positive attitude and productive work ethic.
- Availability 2-4pm at least 2 days of the week – Monday thru Thursday (mentor session/after school time).
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s License.
- Experience with middle and/or high school students.
- Experience in curriculum/assessment design and/or course facilitation.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and data tracking software such as Banner.
Terms of Employment/Compensation
- This is a year-long assistantship starting August 21, 2017 to June 1, 2018. Graduate Assistant must be a full-time, matriculated graduate student at SUNY Oswego and enroll in no more than 9 credit hours per semester.
- Remuneration for the year (pending approval) is $3,000 stipend for 20 hours per week, including $5,436 graduate tuition waiver. Additional benefits include: health insurance available, free employee parking, 10% off new textbooks from the college store, and opportunities for professional development.
To Apply: Please send the following materials to Scott Ball through Interview Exchange:
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for three professional references
If you have any questions or would like more information about this position please contact Scott Ball, Mentor-Scholar Project Coordinator at email@example.com.